Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
AWB’s Vision for Diversity, Equity and Inclusivity
At Acting Without Boundaries, a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace, board of directors’ team and choice of outward-facing external partnerships is one where all employees, consultants, participants, and volunteers feel valued and respected. We are committed to fostering an environment free of harassment and discrimination and providing equal opportunity for employment and advancement in all our departments, programs, and worksites. We respect and value diverse life experiences and work to ensure that all voices are valued and heard.
We are committed to modeling diversity and inclusion in the nonprofit sector, and to maintaining an inclusive environment with equitable treatment for all.
To provide informed, authentic leadership for cultural equity, Acting Without Boundaries strives to:
- See diversity, inclusion, and equity as connected to our mission and critical to ensuring the well-being of our staff, board, and the people (and families) we serve.
- Acknowledge and dismantle any inequities within our policies, systems, programs, and services.
- Explore potential underlying, unquestioned assumptions that interfere with inclusiveness.
- Advocate for and support board-level thinking about how systemic inequities impact our organization’s work, and how best to address that in a way that is consistent with our mission.
- Help to challenge assumptions about what it takes to be a strong leader at our organization, and who is well-positioned to provide leadership.
- Practice and encourage transparent communication in all interactions.
- Commit time and resources to expand more diverse leadership within our board, staff, committee, and advisory bodies.
- Lead with respect and tolerance. We expect all employees, staff and board members to embrace this notion and to express it in workplace interactions and through everyday practices.
Acting Without Boundaries abides by the following action items to help promote diversity and inclusion in our workplace:
- Pursue cultural competency throughout our organization by creating learning opportunities and formal, transparent policies.
- Improve our cultural leadership pipeline by creating and supporting programs and policies that foster leadership that reflects the diversity of American society.
- Pool resources and expand offerings for underrepresented constituents by connecting with other non-profit organizations committed to diversity and inclusion efforts.
- Develop a system for being more intentional and conscious of bias during the hiring, promoting, or evaluating process.
- Advocate for public and private-sector policy that promotes diversity, inclusion, and equity. Challenge systems and policies that create inequity, oppression, and disparity.
AWB relies on volunteers.
The first Sunday of every month volunteers assist our actors at workshops as they learn their lines and rehearse their parts. Our most dedicated volunteers support our actors throughout the year and are a part of the yearly performance. There are opportunities for people who want a creative outlet through set design, props and costume development. Great for early teens, adults and seniors!